I remember listening to a podcast (Lifehacker) and they had the author of this book on. I found him incredibly interesting. He was bio-hacking his body for the best results. He was finding ways to drink great coffee, stay in shape, run his business, sleep less, and get great results. He even mentioned one hack where you spend the last few moments of your shower in cold water to activate your cells and awaken your body. I was intrigued. I’ve never bought a “diet” book per se, but here’s what I discovered.
Food isn’t everything we made it out to me. To sum it all up – eat vegetables, avoid sugar, fat is good, certain foods are or are not healthy despite what you thought. There are a lot of realizations:
- Processed food is poison. Preservatives aren’t good either.
- Inflammation from foods leads to aging and disease. Avoid anti-nutrient food.
- Sugar is bad for you… no matter if it’s in candy, fruit, or honey.
- Fat is actually a good thing for you. It helps your brain grow.
- Vegetables and Proteins are good.
- Identify the foods that cause inflammation (cravings, swelling, etc.) in your body.
- Also avoid Lectins (proteins that attach to sugars in your tummy), Phytates (plants that evolved to prevent animals from eating them such as nuts), Oxalates (cause muscle pain), and molds (e.g. bad coffee)
- Gut bacteria is extremely important. Go… Probiotics!
- Low fat is bad. Avoid it.
- Grass-fed butter/milk/dairy is healthy. Butter, meat, etc. Avoid Grain-Fed… it’s crap.
- People only need 6.5 hours of sleep. Period. If you need more, it may be that your body is recovering from crap food. The healthier you are, the less sleep you need.
- Sprinting is great for you. Run 30 seconds, walk 90… repeat interval training for 15 minutes+. This type of workout is needed 2x per week. Other great workouts are seated row, chest press, pulldown, overhead press, and leg press. Don’t bother with anything else.
- Here’s though the right foods:
- Top Veggies are… asparagus, avocado, broccoli, fennel, celery and olive. Second Tier – cooked kale and spinach, artichokes, carrots, and green onion. Onion, peas, and peppers are sketch. Canned foods and corn are horrible.
- Top oils are… fish oil and grassfeed butter, along with krill oil, avocado and coconut oil. The bad ones? Margarine, safflower, corn, and vegetable oils.
- Proteins… ugh… the ones that I eat eggs and poultry are suspect. And that’s if they’re pastured.
- Dairy… another one… The tops are anything grass fed butter or milk. The bottoms are cheese and nut milks. Kryptonite! But delicious.
- Starches and Nuts – Good are butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots. On the nut side, go with almonds and cashews. Avoid peanuts. And quinoa is also not as good as you may think.
- Fruits… blackberries, coconut, raspberries, lemon, blueberries, pineapple, strawberry…
And remember to drink coffee that does not have mold. Eat raw, lightly cooked or steamed food. Burnt and blackened foods are cancer waiting to happen.
The book, while I won’t follow it to a T… has made me re-think veggies, fruits, fats, sugars, and pure foods. I even bought the pre-made bulletproof coffee. Let’s see if I can taste/feel the difference.